Website Barnes & Noble Booksellers, Inc
As the Assistant Kitchen Manager, you are responsible for the assisting the Restaurant Manager/Kitchen Manager in overseeing the food operations of the kitchen of our restaurant. You understand the daily operations of both the back of house (BOH) and front of house (FOH). You develop staff to ensure the highest quality of food and hospitality to our customers. You ensure the kitchen staff is trained in proper food preparation and kitchen safety. You assist with managing kitchen operations to build a successful and profitable dining experience. You care about and value people and exemplify our core values.
What You Do
- Execute and maintain quality and consistency of food in full adherence to corporate standards.
- Follow, maintain, and enforce kitchen schedules, par lists, prep lists, order guides, and opening and closing checklists.
- Support the FOH team in the absence of the Restaurant Manager and FOH Manager.
- Assist in oversight of kitchen repairs and maintenance, weekly food inventories, and food education at all pre-shift meetings
- Assist in managing food kitchen labor, and linen costs
- Adhere to corporate kitchen cleanliness standards, ordering/receiving standards, and shelf life guidelines
- Assist with execution of seasonal menu changes, kitchen training and safety programs, and conduct monthly in-house health inspections.
- Protect company assets, controlling internal and external food and supply waste and theft. .
- Provide consistent communication and model expected behaviors to ensure compliance with all policies, procedures and our core values.
- Assist with evaluating and managing employee performance in partnership with the kitchen manager.
- Partner with the Restaurant manager to effectively resolve customer issues keeping in line with our core values.
- Assist with kitchen conditions and partner with Restaurant Manager/Kitchen Manager to correct and ensure the best customer experience, maintaining highest level of safety, security, sanitation, and cleanliness of facility.
Knowledge & Experience
- Strong organizational, and written/verbal communication skills
- Spend the majority of time in the kitchen, which requires physical activity
- Availability for early mornings, evenings, weekends, events and holidays to align with busy meal times as well as flexibility with need-based shift coverage.
- Previous banquet experience for private parties of 2-100 people preferred
- Culinary degree and multilingual preferred
- At least two years of experience in a senior level kitchen position
- Excellent knife skills and culinary technique
- Previous banquet experience for private parties of 2-100 people preferred.
- ServSafe certification required.
- Culinary degree preferred.
- Multilingualism preferred.