Website ZSL London Zoo
We’re ZSL, an international conservation charity. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we’re working every day to achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. Through the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated conservationists and our unrivalled animal experts in our two zoos, our purpose is to inspire, inform and empower people to stop wild animals going extinct.
An opening has arisen for a Qualified Animal Keeper on our Elephant section at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo. With ZSL Whipsnade Zoo’s new Centre for Elephant Care opened in April 2017, holding 6 Asian Elephants across over 20 acres of their facility it is an exciting time to be a part of this dynamic team. The Elephant section at Whipsnade Zoo is constantly evolving ensuring the highest standards of welfare and research is being carried out. This position will also assist the Team Leader, Deputy Team Leader and other Senior Keepers in all aspects of their work but primarily the care of the animals, ensuring high standards of animal welfare, animal husbandry.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Observing the behaviour, health and security of animals and reporting any problems to the team leader or senior staff.
- Ensuring that conditions for animals are of the highest standards and reporting any problems, including defects or repairs required to enclosures, to the senior staff on section and relevant departments required.
- Assisting with the preparation of approved diets and carrying out the correct feeding procedures.
- Cleaning and maintaining exhibits and designing enrichment devices.
- Ensuring that safety and emergency procedures are followed at all times.
- Assisting with the movement and training of animals using positive re-enforcement.
- Have the responsibility of training an individual elephant with guidance of senior members of the team.
- Supporting in the training and mentoring of less experienced staff.
- Maintaining courteous and helpful relations with visitors and media.
- Supporting broader ZSL lead events such as late evenings and specialist functions.
The successful candidate will:
- Be able to work in a team and have good communication skills.
- Have a good level of skill and knowledge together with a proven work record ideally with Elephants, or large ungulates and hoof-stock in positive reinforcement management systems.
- Have strong attention to detail and the ability to clearly convey instruction.
- Have good familiarity with external zoo associations such as BIAZA and EAZA.
- Have either a high-level qualification in a relevant field, DZMAA Keeper’s course or equivalent work experience.
Please note: This is a full-time, permanent position based at Whipsnade Zoo. Flexible working is required for this position which will include working 2 in 3 weekends, bank holidays and providing assistance out of hours if required. A full/clean driving license is essential.
Benefit Package:This role offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package including 25 days holiday (Pro-rata), stakeholder pension where the employer minimum contribution is 7%, complimentary zoo tickets and more