Website Relay Graduate School of Education
Public Interest Law Job Reporting to the General Counsel, the Associate General Counsel will be responsible for a broad array of substantive legal areas.
Working both independently and in collaboration with other departments, the Associate General Counsel will provide high quality legal advice, research and draft.
Memoranda and correspondence on a range of matters, support with litigation, handle and advise on corporate transaction matters, and support effective and efficient use of outside counsel.
The Office of the General Counsel oversees the legal affairs of the institution, advising board members, senior leaders, and staff on how to attain the institution’s strategic, financial, and academic objectives while making informed and ethical decisions based on potential risks.
The Office of the General Counsel refines and strengthens internal systems and policies, serves as internal legal advisor, and liaises with external counsel for complex matters.
Through the responsibilities listed above, the Associate General Counsel will support healthy, sustainable growth for a leading edge graduate school of education.
This is a unique opportunity for a legal professional to apply their legal skills and knowledge to positively impact public education in this country.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advise management and staff on various legal issues including but not limited to: contracts, intellectual property, data privacy, employment and labor, student affairs and services, corporate governance, regulatory and compliance, tax, and litigation
- Anticipate potential issues and make strategic recommendations on how to mitigate risk while pushing towards organizational objectives, including monitoring and resolving disputes that may lead to litigation
- Collaborate with other members of the legal team
- Serve as a representative of legal in a variety of cross-functional meetings
- Support organizational use of outside counsel, as needed on complex legal matters, aiming for cost efficiency and to increase pro bono support
- Develop relationships with other lawyers and bring best practices to the institution
- Strengthen the organization’s legal systems by refining templates and policies, advancing colleagues’ legal knowledge and ability to navigate common legal matters
- Provide counsel on the regular review of staff and student policies
- Create associations of trust and respect with key internal and external stakeholders
- Remain abreast of relevant laws and regulations, particularly in the field of higher education
- Assist the institution as necessary on a variety of additional in-house legal matters and special projects
- Ground decision-making processes in ethics and integrity
QUALIFICATIONS FOR PUBLIC INTEREST LAW JOB
First and foremost, the Associate General Counsel must share the Relay community’s commitment to working together to improve student growth and achievement through phenomenal teacher and leader preparation and training grounded in diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism.
Additionally, for this position we’re looking for candidates that possess a combination of the following skills:
- J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited law school
- 5+ years of experience practicing law highly preferred
- Active membership in the state bar of your residence
- Passion for applying legal practice to advance educational equity
- Experience facilitating and negotiating a variety of agreements, drafting associated language and terms, revising agreements, proposing strategic language, negotiating with third parties and opposing counsel, and briefing and representing internal colleagues
- Experience developing legal systems and structures and applying best practices in the industry preferred
- Experience training non-attorneys on how to identify and mitigate legal risks and working cross-functionally
- Experience as internal or external counsel to institutes of higher education or PK-12 schools preferred.
Public Interest Law Job Relay prepares teachers and school leaders to teach students of all identities and backgrounds in order to push toward a time when this country no longer faces stark educational inequities.
We recruit, develop, support, and retain a diverse staff, faculty, and graduate student body because we are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and actively anti-racist institution.
We know, and the data supports, that diversity, equity, and inclusion cultivate an environment in which people of all backgrounds can thrive and this is critical to achieving our mission of educational excellence and equity.
To fulfill that commitment, Relay encourages applicants of all backgrounds and identities to apply for roles that align with their own interests and career trajectory.
If you meet a majority of the qualifications and see yourself in this role, we would love to see your application!